Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More about Kathryn Elizabeth



OK, so I took two days off! Sorry.
I'm trying to get together what I want to say about my mom here. It's kind of sad in a way. I don't know much. Her family? Well I think she had two step brothers and a biological sister. She was born a Fields and stayed that way, but her dad apparently passed away and her mom remarried to become known as "Kate" Harrison. Pretty lady and a great cook. Can I assume that my mom was named after her mom? Probably. Her sister's name was Myrtle, she married a man named Edgar Boaze. They had two boys, one, Jerry, was killed in a car accident at age 16 or so and Bill, the older of the two lived in Houston at last contact. Mom's family was always poor and she was seemingly embarrassed by that most of her life. They were dirt farmers and my mom was born in a house that had only three rooms and no plumbing or electricity. That's about all I know. I think it's really sad that there isn't more. I have some good info on my dad's side of things. Here, not much more.
Mom married that good looking store assistant in 1929, and they moved to Yuma Arizona. The Woolworth Company at that time established a western division and therefore they always moved west, never to see Texas as home again.
I'll continue this short family tale tomorrow with something about my dad and then we'll get back to what's really important - their legacy and what has or hasn't changed in the last one hundred years.

27 She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. (Proverbs 31)

No comments: