Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More about "Kat"




Whoops! I found out some more stuff about my mom, "Kat". The place where she was born wasn't exactly like the "Ritz". Her single mom Kathryn (Bechtold) Fields hadn't yet found someone to replace the man who died. The house was simple. We think "shack" but it held the heat as best it could and Kate raised the kids (Myrtle and my mom) as best she could. A sharecropper's wife who becomes a widow has a tough time. When my gramma Kate (know to me as "meemaw") remarried, they moved into town. Unfortunately Mr. Harrison didn't last either. Meemaw had to move in with Myrtle and her husband Edgar, a welder. He didn't last long either. Tough times those late twenties and thirties. Here's a picture of the house, young meemaw and and the Grandmother I loved so much. My mom met my dad when she was working at the candy counter and they married in 1929, Easter Sunday, in fact. They moved to Yuma Arizona and further west, Hanford, Klamath Falls, El Monte, Spokane, Glendale, Seattle, San Mateo, etc. It's all to come.

No comments: