Thursday, November 20, 2008

About buying a car.



In the light of what's happening in the automotive industry, I thought I'd explain over the next couple of days how my dad would buy a car. His method and his successful bartering skills are some of my fondest memories.
First of all, you have to understand that cars were an important part of my dad's life. The ritual of the "Sunday Drive" was real to me as I grew up, no matter where we lived. If someone visited, we all got into the car and drove them around town, or around the county or even around the state a bit, as time allowed. Our cars were generally no more than two years old. It was important that we had a new car every couple of years - "to keep up with changes". Looking back, it seems that we were neither a "GM" nor "Ford" family particularly. Why, I remember that the first car I ever drove was actually a Chrysler! A 1947 Chrysler New Yorker, four doors, of course and the prettiest dark blue you could imagine. It was always clean (I could have embraced that concept better) and it was always in the garage or in use on the road.
I'm happy to say that there were never any accidents, nor were there many speeding tickets issued or any pretentious motives associated with my dad's automotive choices. He chose cars on the basis of some decision he had made talking with friends, reading an advertisement or having seen that "perfect set of wheels" he had to have. These days, it seems like electronic stuff has replaced the automobile in my life. That is, as far as getting new models of things goes. I've had one car for nearly forty four years and our other car is a '99 model. I have somehow come to embrace the "axis powers" - one German and the other Japanese.
I digress. Tomorrow I'll get back on the subject of actually how to buy a brand new car, the Henry Wilson way.
Happy Birthday Pop, we all miss you!

No comments: