Thursday, September 4, 2008

August Memories…




Okay, I KNOW it's September already, but give me some editorial freedom here.
I couldn't help but have the same feelings last night as I watched Gov. Palin deliver her acceptance speech as I did back in late August of 1956 when I watched President Eisenhower deliver his speech at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.
I was a recent high school graduate, ready to tackle the world. A delegate, a "Young Republican" from San Mateo, to the Republican National Convention in San Francisco. What could be better? The sense of awe, the giddy wonder at the going's on. For three or four days my friend Jerry and I drove the twenty miles or so to South San Francisco and did what most anybody older than us told us to. We handed out signs, we got coffee, we generally made ourselves useful.
Then the time came for the appearance of President Eisenhower. The whole place was alive with the chant of "We like Ike!" Thousands of balloons were dropped, he came in with Mamie at his side, and delivered his address. Afterwards Dick and Pat Nixon joined them on the dais. Everyone was yelling, clapping and cheering for these heros of the hour.
Last night in Minnesota, the same thing occurred. I suspect that it will repeat itself tonight when John McCain makes his acceptance speech. Americans love a good convention. The party is buoyed up at these things and great energy is infused in all who watch or attend.
If you are an astute political observer, you expect great promises to be made. Usually the moon is mentioned as easily obtainable. World peace and justice for all is assumed. Last night's speech - nothing, no promises! Great. What we saw was a strong, confident "soccer mom" defend her lifestyle. She demonstrated that she is a real person. A woman who knows how to handle herself in stressful situations and she's not afraid to attack the PTB. I hope this is correct. It seems so. I am very happy about her candidacy and I wish her and Senator John McCain well.
It will be interesting in the next several weeks to see how "organizing a community" will become more important somehow, than being the governor of the great state of Alaska.

No comments: