Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What do YOU want?





In the Old Testament book of Deuteronomy, chapter 4, verse 9, God inspired Moses to write: " Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them."

It seems to me that a lot of parents these days have forgotten that Godly advice. Which part? Well, both parts, I suspect.

Today, I am struck by the "be careful" and "watch yourselves closely" parts because it seems that I have been driving out to the doctor's offices and sitting around there more than I'd like. No, I'm not particularly sick nor saddled with some horrid disease, but I am beginning to be concerned about how much of my grandchildren's lives I'll see. They say it's never to late to change a bad habit. They also say, "You won't live forever!" Here then is the dilemma. Change a bad habit and live less well a few more years, or continue in moderation and enjoy life to the fullest measure that God allows. Of course there's no simple answer. Motivation is the key.

Four grandkids, wonderful children and a loving wife encourage one to hang in there and not grow old. I have decided that my brain is the only part of me that I can readily keep in an immature state. Oh, I know, people will complain when I don't stand aside and let the anointed youth race by with their iPodded ears and bloodied thumbs. I have decided to demand what's coming to me with three-score and ten.

The problem is, I've already got it. More than I could wish for.

No comments: